For more places to eat, things to do and local shopping, please click here
I’m Josh Miller known as the Bearded Prairie Chef! I was a top 3 finalist on MasterChef Canada Season 6. I LOVE everything about food... the way it brings people together as family around a table to share stories and laughs... the way you keep learning new things about it... the way it can bring a flood of memories back to you as you eat... and of course the taste! At my table your ALWAYS family!
Be sure to watch for me on Tourism Regina’s channels as I host the new You Gotta Try This restaurant series in Regina. Here you’ll find amazing local restaurants and foods in the city featured every week. Catch a new episode every week and support local.
- Find the RIGHT beef: It’s totally OK if you want to head to your local grocery store to buy your steak but why not got to the pros. Go to a nearby butcher shop and have them cut you a fresh steak. These local shops will source beef from close to home. When buying your steaks look for great marbling within the meat. This will melt during cooking and result in an AMAZING steak! Let’s talk meat choices. There’s so many choices strip loin, ribeye, tenderloin and even top sirloin. They each bring their own uniqueness to the party. Tenderloin is ultra-tender and lean, top sirloin is lean and cheaper, strip loin will have great fat marbling in the meat which will cause it to be tender. Then there’s the ribeye! This one is my FAVOURITE for its marbling and great tenderness and getting a thick cut like a cowboy or tomahawk steak can be a real showstopper! Anyways back to grilling the PERFECT steak.
- Bring your meat up to room temperature BEFORE cooking! When you know your going to cook your steaks bring them out of the fridge 30 minutes before and let them sit on the counter. This will bring the inside of the meat to temperature, so the inside cooks as great as the outside. If you don’t you totally run the risk of rocking an incredible steak on the outside and a raw undercooked steak on the inside!
- Season, season and season: Don’t be afraid to SEASON, when your find that perfectly thick cut ribeye steak it can totally take the seasoning and lots of it. So, don’t be afraid to add the salt or your favourite steak seasoning. Prairie Smoke BBQ here in Regina has ridiculously awesome steak spice blend go give it a try!
- Heat the grill: SCREAMING Hot Grill... fire that baby up! When I’m crushing a steak on the BBQ, I always set that puppy as high as it goes. I’m a high and fast method guy for steak. If you’re cooking to more of a medium-well sear it on both sides for 3 minutes, then turn the heat down to ¾ heat for the rest of the way so you don’t burn it!
- Invest in a good Instant Read Thermometer: We’re all NOT Gordon Ramsey and the touch it with your finger method is AWESOME… for the pros but why not make easy for yourself. Purchasing an instant read thermometer is not only cheap it’s a vital tool in grilling the perfect steak.
- Let it REST: Don’t waste that hard-earned money you spent or the hard work you just did cooking it. Rest that meat for at LEAST 5 minutes this will help the juices to redistribute throughout the meat!
- Bonus tip!!! Add that BUTTER. It will bring your steak to the NEXT level! Adding fat is ALWAYS a good idea HAHA!. This will help the steak with not only added flavour, but with help give it an amazing shine for presentation purposes!
- Zoom in friends and make it a party: Why not make it a party! Covid blues got you down? Are you having a Covid Hangover? Then why not Zoom your friends and all cook yourselves a perfect steak dinner TOGETHER! This is a chance to connect, keep your sanity and be safe during these crazy times and if you screw up your steak order some take out from Avenue or The Diplomat… Your secret is safe with me 😉
- Store the leftovers: Leftovers… What leftovers??? If you’re like me cooking and crushing a good steak for dinner there is no leftovers, but just in case you’re like my wife and have some put it in an airtight container. Tomorrow for breakfast why not make an eggs benedict with steak as the base!
Garlic Compound Butter
1 Cup Softened Unsalted Butter
3 Garlic Cloves Minced
2 TBSP Parsley Chopped
2 TBSP Chives Chopped
1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1 TBSP Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Pinch of Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Place on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist ends to seal well.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Slice into rounds and enjoy on steaks, vegetables or bread