The pumpkins are gone, the frost is here, and there is a jolly vibe throughout the city as everyone prepares for winter holidays in the coming weeks. There is a lot to see, do and experience during this festive season in Regina (on top of crossing off Christmas shopping checklists).
To help you decide how and where to celebrate, I’ve compiled a listing of my favourite attractions, shows and events dedicated to the holidays.
Christmas Lights Attractions
1) Canadian Pacific Holiday Train A Canadian tradition, the brightly lit and decorated Pacific Holiday Train travels across Canada with a team of musical performers on board, stopping in Regina for a festive performance.
When: Monday, December 5, 6:00 p.m. Where: Mosaic Stadium parking lot, 1831 Elphinstone St. Cost: Non-perishable food bank donations greatly appreciated. 2) Christmas Lights Across Canada
The Saskatchewan Legislative building turns on its decorative holiday lights in participation with all of Canada’s capitals across the country.
When: Thursday, December 1, 7:00 p.m. Where: Saskatchewan Legislative Building, 2405 Legislative Dr.
3) Candy Cane Lane Holiday Light Festival More than 170 Resident Homes in the Normanview community association participate in a holiday light festival to help raise donations as well as non-perishable food items. There is a walk through “North Pole Village Display” as well as a “Winter Wonderland Display” for families to enjoy as well as hot chocolate and cookies for sale.
When: Wednesday, November 30 – Saturday, December 24, 6:30-9:00 p.m. Where: 19 Champ Cres. Admission: Adults $3, Youth Under 18 $2, Children Under 14 $1
Christmas Crafts and Fairs
1) Twinkle: A Holiday Handmade Market A handmade market devoted to local Saskatchewan Artisans, the first 25 people arriving to the event also receive a free goody bag. When: Sunday, November 20, 11:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m. Where: The Exchange, 2431 8th Ave Admission: $2, children under 12 free 2) Christkindle Markt 2016 Celebrating German culture and heritage during the holiday season at the annual Christkindl Markt are handmade items for purchase, sweet treats from local vendors and a children’s craft table.
When: Saturday, November 26, 2:00-7:00 p.m. Where: Regina German Club, 1727 St. John Street
3) MacKenzie Art Gallery Holiday Bazaart 2016 The MacKenzie Art Gallery’s Holiday Bazaart is the perfect shopping destination to pick up one-of-a-kind treasures. With local Canadian artists selling everything from ceramics and jewelry to leather goods and paintings, it’s easy to find a gift for anyone. Proceeds from the event also help support the Gallery’s exhibitions and public programs. When: Saturday, November 26, 10:00 a.m. Where: MacKenzie Art Gallery, 3475 Albert Street Admission: $5, children under 12 free
1 .Christmas Tea at the Regina Floral Conservatory Operated and maintained by volunteers of the Regina Garden Associates, the conservatory hosts an afternoon Christmas tea with four sittings. Local musicians entertain while guests enjoy tea, coffee and sweet treats while appreciating the Christmas Wonders floral display.
When: Sunday, December 11 Where: 1450B Fourth Avenue Admission: Tickets must be purchased in advance at the Conservatory, please call 306-781-4769. 2) Old-fashioned Victorian Christmas An annual celebration at Government House, staff host Victorian-style Christmas festivities for the family. Activities include horse-drawn wagon rides through the Edwardian Gardens, cookie decorating and a visit from Santa Claus. Be sure to dress up warm to enjoy the evening.
When: Thursday, December 8th and Saturday, December 10th, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Where: 4607 Dewdney Ave. Admission: Free
A fun holiday run (5km) and walk (1km) that’s the perfect excuse to put on a Santa hat, get outside in the cold weather and keep fit while fundraising money to help others have a happy holiday. Proceeds support those in need in the community.
When: Saturday, December 3, 10:00 a.m. Where: Conexus Arts Centre, 200 Lakeshore Dr.
Admission: Registration fees can be found here.
Christmas Concerts and Shows
1) The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus A little theatre with big entertainment, Regina Little Theatre is putting on a family show by Pat Cook called The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. When: November 30 – December 3, Where: Regina Performing Arts Centre, 1077 Angus Street Admission: List of tickets prices can be found here. 2) Regina Symphony Orchestra: A Candlelight Christmas
A special evening performance, the Regina Symphony Orchestra will be performing A Candlelight Christmas
When: Saturday, December 17, 8:00 p.m. Where: Westminster United Church, 3025 13th Ave,
Admission: List of ticket prices can be found here.
3) Cirque Musica Holiday Spectacular with the Regina Symphony Orchestra Another feature including the Regina Symphony Orchestra, the cast of Cirque Musica perform a variety of impressive and entertaining acrobatic routines onstage, set to holiday music from a live orchestra
When: November 29, 7:00 p.m. Where: Conexus Arts Centre, 200 Lakeshore Dr. Admission: List of ticket prices can be found here.
Want to learn about more holiday events and activities? Check out Tourism Regina’s calendar of events.