a person who participates in an activity only in their spare time
I get it—life is busy, but summer does not slow down for anyone. Before we know it, the snow will fall and it will be time for holiday parties (Okay, okay…the leaves will change colours first). Make sure you avoid disappointment and take advantage of your long weekend spare time to explore these summer destinations beyond Regina.
Up first, Lumsden! Check out this list of some of the local spots and get your Weekend Warrior on.
First things first, you have got to eat and why not use that as a perfect excuse to start your adventure. Use this time to explore these spots:
- Grab a Snack and More at The Snack Shack: (Intersection of Highway 11 & 20, near Lumsden) Burgers, ice cream, fries, and much more! The Snack Shack is a classic road trip spot, and for very good reason!
- Wine and Dine at Over the Hill Orchards & Winery: (Box 618, Lumsden Beach) Explore this unique prairie orchard by touring the winery then enjoy pie and wine on the patio. Consider reserving a table for dinner during Supper in the Orchard, sign up early via their website.
- Enjoy Common Food Done Uncommonly Well at Free Bird: (240 James St N) Check out this new Lumsden spot. They offer a unique feature menu and drool-worthy burgers. They’re usually jam-packed with locals – that’s how you know it’s good!
- Sip and Snack at Fourth & James Bakery: (375 James St N) Grab a tasty beverage to fuel your adventures. Your mouth will be watering at the sight of the display case filled with freshly-baked goods, including their famous prairie-cherry scones.
- Eat, Drink, and Be Merry at Lumsden Hotel & Steak Pit: (30 2nd Ave) Established in 1907, the Lumsden Hotel & Steak Pit is a must stop when visiting Lumsden, from juicy steaks to the best fish and chips you’ll find.
- Try Dill Pickle Vodka at Last Mountain Distillery: (70 Highway 20) Saskatchewan’s first micro distillery offers tours of their facilities and impressive lineup of product that are creating using locally-sourced ingredients. Try their dill pickle vodka and prairie cherry whiskey. You’ll thank us!
Now that you’ve filled your stomach with delicious food, you need to check out these places:
- Release your Inner Bohemian Queen at Thr3e Clothing Connection: (215 James St N) Thr3e Clothing is an eclectic women’s boutique located in the heart of Lumsden. From the beautiful space, friendly owner and staff, and all the beautiful clothes and shoes, you’ll be shopping ‘til you drop.
- Get Hooked at Outer Edge Adventure Park: (HWY #20, Lumsden, SK) Whether you prefer to see the valley from the air or on the ground, this park has an adventure for you. Go ziplining, try rock climbing or enjoy a guided valley edge hike. Planning a longer stay? Take advantage of the onsite accommodations.
- Reconnect with Nature at Wascana Valley Trails: (Lumsden, SK) Enjoy the beauty of nature in Saskatchewan without time constraints. This trail system is the perfect setting to enjoy a hike, take your mountain bike for a spin or enjoy local birds and wildlife. No matter your age or ability, this 15 KM trail offers something for you.
- Experience Ranch Life at Beaver Creek Ranch & Horse Centre: (Lumsden, SK) Spend time in the country horseback riding before gathering around a fire for a country cookout. Looking for a unique experience? Try a game of Team Tracker – an innovative and exciting outdoor treasure hunt, great for large groups!
You now know some of the local Lumsden spots, you’re officially the ultimate Weekend Warrior! Tag us during your next adventure using #SeeYQR.